ARE YOU AN EMERGING UK-BASED CURATOR LOOKING FOR A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO PRESENT A PHOTOGRAPHIC PROJECT?
This is your opportunity to develop a curated project that will be presented at the Martin Parr Foundation in Bristol in autumn 2021. As part of the Foundations ongoing commitment to diversify its exhibition programme and provide a curatorial platform for underrepresented voices and perspectives, this Open Call invites curators (no formal qualification or experience required) to submit an exhibition proposal for either a single figure or group show. The Martin Parr Foundation particularly welcomes proposals from non-white applicants.
Exhibition proposals must align with the Foundations remit to support photographers working in or making work about the British Isles. The Foundation welcomes a broad interpretation of this and looks forward to supporting the selected curator in developing their proposal.
Your application will be reviewed by a selection panel of photography experts consisting of:
Mariama Attah, Curator, Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool
Song Tae Chong, Independent Curator and Photo Historian
Alona Pardo, Curator, Barbican Art Gallery, London
Jennie Ricketts, Independent Photography Consultant
The selected project will be announced in March 2021.
Fees and Resources:
• Total fee of £3000 for the curator and exhibiting photographer(s)
• Reasonable exhibition production costs covered by the Martin Parr Foundation
• Expenses covered for curators and/or photographers to make relevant trips to the Martin Parr Foundation
• Curatorial support/mentoring from our panel of judges, as required
• The exhibition will be promoted through the Martin Parr Foundation media platforms. The Foundation will also work with the curator to approach other suitable media-outlets to promote the show
• Deadline for applications: 26 February 2021
• Selected curator announced: March 2021
• Exhibition programmed to run from October to December 2021 (exact dates tbc)
• This opportunity is open to underrepresented voices based in the UK and particularly welcomes exhibition proposals from non-white applicants
• No formal qualifications needed
• Group and solo shows considered
• Exhibition concept
• Proposed list of photographer(s) and works
• Visuals of works and/or mock-up of floor plans
• Breakdown of exhibition production costs
• Curator personal statement
• Curator CV
• Any additional supporting material
A floor plan of the Martin Parr Foundation gallery can be downloaded here
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org before 26 February 2021. Jenni will confirm receipt of your application.
Please contact email@example.com
Image: It’s Called Ffasiwn by Clementine Schneidermann and Charlotte James, on display at Martin
Parr Foundation in 2019